8 December 2011

HOW TO: Make your own Cot Bumper

Well this is what I've been up to yesterday, frantically sewing while the Little Girl naps....in her cot without bumpers.....

The Little Girl has a tendancy to smack her head against the cot ends and side bars when sleeping in her cot.  This invariably results in a screaming baby and a very bleary-eyed, sleepy mother trying to soothe her back to sleep!  After looking at the prices of cot bumpers in the stores, I naturally went, "How much?  I'm NOT paying that.  I'll make it myself".  Ha! Famous last words.  I think I had bitten off more than I could chew....

This has been a project that has spanned a couple of months.  I started with a hiss and a roar, finished half, then put it away because it was just too much effort!.  The push I needed was looking into the Little Girl's cot yesterday morning, seeing all these blankets rolled up and pushed between the cot and the mattress to stop her bumping her head.  "That's it!" I thought, "Rain, hail or shine, I'm going to finish the bumper TODAY".  So that's what I did.  

I was on such a mission I didn't even get out of my pajamas or have breakfast until I'd finished....which wasn't until 3pm!!

As I don't usually ever work to a pattern, my 'How-To' is custom made to my own cot, but you can just alter the measurements to fit your own.

What you'll need:

1x single duvet inner
Fabric of your choice (plain is easier)
1 good quality high-thread count sheet (mine was an opp-shop find)
Cotton 
Sewing Machine
Velcro (3-4 metres approx.)


As wadding was too expensive and not thick enough, I found an unused single duvet inner to use instead.
I decided that the pre-stitched panels were the perfect width, which made it easier.

Cut the duvet inner along the stitched panels to make 4 long panels.
Machine sew the edges that don't have stitching, to prevent the wadding coming out.

Next, measure the width of the cot ends and the length of the sides and then cut the panels to these measurements, again machine sew the cut ends to prevent the wadding coming out.
I brought some bright pink fabric on clearance for $2/metre. ...BARGAIN!!
 Using the duvet panels as your pattern, cut your fabric panels, ensuring you have a front and a back.
Make sure you leave plenty of room or seams. 

OPTIONAL:
As I didn't have enough fabric to cover both sides of the panel, I found a high thread-count sheet I'd
brought at an opp-shop (for another project) and used this for the backing.
I used the pink fabric I'd just cut as my pattern and cut out panels from the sheet.

Next, cut out flaps from the sheet.
Measure the length of the duvet panel and add 40-60cms to allow for overlap (the overlap was guesswork, so check with your eye before you use my measurements!)
Fold the flap in half and cut down the middle to create two flaps.
Hem 3 sides of the each flap.
Sew the un-hemmed end of the flaps to the end of the duvet panel (so you end up a panel with flaps like the picture above).  **If you want it to look nice from the outside of the cot: ensure  you choose a 'front' for the duvet panel. Then check which way you will sew the flaps on, remembering that you want the hemmed edges on the inside (facing the 'back' panel) when you eventually velcro it together on the cot.  (Phew! That was a lot to explain....hope you get it!)


Next, lay your two fabric panels back to back (using plain fabrics makes this job easier!)
Sew down one length.
Measure the duvet panel (mine was about 28cm wide) and measure from the seam you've just sewn .  Sew another seam, and trim any excess fabric.
What you should end up with is a long tube with seamed sides, so you can slip your arm right through.

You're nearly finished!  Keep going!
Slide the duvet with flaps through the tube so that only the flaps are sticking out.
Next tuck the fabric at the ends of the tube inside, so that it creates a neat edge.  It should cover where the flap sewn to the duvet.  Sew along the tube where you tucked the fabric inside, to create a neat hem.  This will also sew the inner to the tube, so that it will stay in place and won't bunch up. 

Next, cut your velcro into strips and sew at even intervals.  For the cot ends, I used three strips on each flap - 3 horizontal and 3 vertical.  This saves having to match up the strips when you're putting it on the cot.  As the cot sides are longer , I used 4 strips of velcro on each flap. You simply pull the flaps to overlap, and the velcro will do the rest.  

Viola....my very own very pink cot bumper!


It's well padded and safe too, as children can't undo the velcro from the inside of the cot.

Enjoy
Yvette xx

No comments:

Post a Comment